Archive for Veils

More Veils!

VeilI woke up this morning to two pattern sales!  It may not seem like much, but this is the first time I’ve ever had two customers on the same day so I was rather excited.  Both sales were on Craftsy and for the same pattern (the fingerless gloves) so I suspect they must have been mentioned on someone’s blog or something.  Maybe someone else who had made them earlier?  Or maybe mentioned on InTatters?  I have no idea.  Craftsy doesn’t track incoming links so I can’t actually tell.  If someone else saw it, I’d love to know.

This week I finally got the veil pattern posted up on Craftsy and listed both versions as finished pieces on Etsy.  I realized while I was listing it that I didn’t pay any attention to how long it takes me to make them so I listed them rather cheap and when one sells that will give me a chance to time it and get the price correct.  That means the first person to buy one gets quite a steep discount!  🙂



Comments (4)


I finished the red and black veil yesterday.  This is the one in which I was attaching the lace to the tulle while tatting and it worked really well.  I’m very pleased with the way it came out.  On Friday night though I had finished all the tatting and just had to put the piece together and I didn’t think it was going to come out very nice, but when I put it together on Saturday morning it did!

One thing I’m going to have to play around with is what hair clip to use and how to attach it.  For this one I used my standard clip and pointed it sideways (it’s not adjustable) because I typically wear them on my right side.  (I like the way it looks in the back over a ponytail too.)

Next on the veil list is to make the flower to with the purple one.  I also like this one so much that I started on another one.  The same black tulle with a larger edging of variegated blue with black.  I’m modifying the pattern a little to make it curve around in a circle so I hope it turns out.  It’s a much wider edging so is taking quite a while to go around.  It’d be a shame to get halfway around the tulle and determine it doesn’t work.

I am debating about offering it as a class at Shuttlebirds.  Wondering if I’ll have enough time between now and then to practice and learn enough to teach it or wait until 2014.  2014!  Planning classes for 2014.  Can you believe it’s almost 2013!?!

Comments (4)

Second Attempt at Working with Tulle

This is my second attempt at attaching the tatting to the tulle and it’s working much better.

One of the exciting things about this attempt is how I found the actual tulle that I’m using.  To make a veil you start with a circular piece of tulle.  When I took the veil making class at Pacific Fabrics I asked the teacher to cut a couple extra pieces for me to make these mini veils.  It was quite a while later that I realized that they sell these little circular pieces of tulle pre-cut and packaged in the wedding section for making gift bags/party favors.

I picked up a package of black ones to try this out on and it’s working quite well so far.  More to come for sure.

Leave a Comment

First Attempt at Working with Tulle

Quite a while ago I took a veil making class at the Pacific Fabrics store in Northgate because I wanted to play around with tulle and figuring out how to attach the tatting to it.  My idea was to make little mini-veils in different colors.  While I was there I asked the teacher to cut out a couple piece of tulle in different colors to try out these mini-veils.  This is the first of them.

For this one I did the tatting first and then sewed it on the tulle.  Didn’t work quite as well as I would have hoped.  It was hard to figure out exactly how much tatting I needed to go around the tulle and so I started the sewing while it was still attached to the ball and shuttle and that was sort of awkward.

I finally finished attaching the tatting last week and as I was doing it discovered that I had overshot and made it too long for the tulle.  Took a bit of retro-tatting to get it right, but got it there eventually.  I’m going to add a couple other little flowers to the main part of the tulle, and then figure out a way to attach it to a barrette.

I’ve started another one that I’m attaching to the tulle as I’m tatting it and it’s working much better.  It’s the same pattern, but I’m just joining directly to the tulle.  I only just started so I’m not very far along, but I’ll try to take some pictures tomorrow.


Comments (2)