This week seems to be a week for working on bigger projects. I’ve been fairly busy with work and school so haven’t had the mental focus needed to pull out the Priscilla books and work through some new patterns. I have a feeling I’ll be l be lacking that ability until at least mid-March when our pledge drive is over and I hit the road heading up to Spokane for the Shuttlebirds tatting workshop. Luckily I’ve still had a bit of time for tatting and have been taking advantage of it to work on some of my projects. Finished the sash belt on Sunday, but I spent few hours last Saturday hanging out at Wildfiber, a yarn store in Santa Monica and working more on the Star Doily. The tatting portion of it is about half done now!
The picture above only shows the main part of it that I’ve got finished. I’m trying to do it in pieces as much as possible so I don’t need to hold the whole thing in my hands while tatting. So for each of the 5 points the process has been to tat two wheels, unattached to anything else. Tat the third wheel, joining to both of the first two wheels and then make the little negative-space filler in the center, attaching that to all three. When that’s done I end up with the picture on the right. I add a 4th wheel to make what becomes the main part of each point (the neck picture) and after that I’ve got to sit down which the rest of the doily and make the next wheel while attaching it two pieces together. The nice thing about this pattern is that because the last round is made completely of chains it goes pretty fast. You can tat most of the wheel without worrying about how and where you’re going to attach it to the others.
That’s about all that’s been going on here tatting-wise. I’d hoped to work on the bonnet a bit more this week, but that hasn’t happened so far. Maybe this weekend.